A new perspective on the economics of publishing. open access and universities in general…borrowed from the Scholarly Kitchen blog.
…ask yourself these questions:
- Who shrank the library budgets while simultaneously courting researchers and research dollars?
- Who’s training too many PhDs for the economy to absorb, while generally (through commission or omission) misleading PhD candidates about how viable a PhD will be?
- Who has moved away from tenure-track positions and intramural funding?
- Who has become too reliant on blunt and unreliable metrics like impact factor and h-index to rank faculty?
- Who holds the IP for federally funded research in the United States, and exploits that without returning it to the taxpayer?